Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Purpose

With so many corporate social responsibility (CSR) blogs and resources out there, what could I possibly add to the dialogue/noise? And in such a new "industry," certainly no one can profess to have all the answers or claim true mastery.

I can, however, share my experiences and opinions from spending several years as a CSR practitioner in the hopes that this blog helps to illuminate the truth (the good, the bad and the ugly) about my job and others like it.

Recently, I returned from Ithaca, NY where I attended the Net Impact annual conference. It was my eighth conference and continues to be one of the highlights of my year. What I cannot even begin to communicate is the energy and optimism that results from thousands of MBAs and professionals who come together with a more noble vision for the purpose of business and its role in society. At 2,400 participants, it was Net Impact's largest conference to date and it's clear that interest in CSR continues to gain momentum.

What's frustrating, however (and I've certainly experienced this firsthand), is that the idealism expressed by students and professionals who aren't CSR practitioners doesn't always match up with reality. Even at the most "progressive" companies, CSR isn't readily embraced and there are many, many uphill battles and difficult conversations to be had.

So I hope this blog can serve as a resource to those who are interested in learning more about CSR and how companies can play an active role in improving society and the environment. To the fullest extent possible, I'll offer my honest opinion and unguarded insight into my day-to-day world.

No comments:

Post a Comment